Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My Childhood

I grew up with two extreme wild life gurus. My father was the greatest herpetologist in Australia and was the world legend for catching very venomous snakes. My mum was a pioneer in Australian history. I always called her the Mother Teresa of wildlife rehabilitation. As I grew up I went with my dad on many missions. I watched my dad and tried to mimic him. This eventually developed my instinctive ability with wildlife. I had the best most unusual childhood. My house was also a home for many animals in need of help. I got very close with many of the animals, but I had three very close animal friends. My first animal friends name was Curley. Curley was a curlew who thought he was an emu. My second animal friend was Egg Head. Egg Head was an emu who thought he was a human. My third animal friend was Brolly. Brolly was a brolga who thought he was there best thing ever. Curley, Egg Head, Brolly, and I would always play games that Brolly got real tired of. Curley, Egg Head, and I would always be the good guys. We would make Brolly the enemy. Together we would pretend to stalk, shoot, throw grenades, and fight hand-to-hand. All the animals at our reserve were like my brothers and sisters. Even though I was so close to these animals they were still wild and sometimes could get out of hand. I quickly learned to respect the animals and their space. I followed in my parents footsteps my whole life. They helped me to have the wonderful life I have today.


2 comments: